Before discussing what is the best rakhi gift for her, let us tell you what is meaning of rakhi and Why is it Traditionally Given to a Sister as a Symbol of Love?
Meaning Of Rakhi?
The festival is made up of two words, namely “Raksha” and “Bandhan.” As per the Sanskrit terminology, the occasion means “the tie or knot of protection” where “Raksha” stands for the protection and “Bandhan” signifies the verb to tie. Together, the festival symbolizes the eternal love of the brother-sister relationship which does not mean just the blood relationships only. It is also celebrated among cousins, sister and sister-in-law (Bhabhi), fraternal aunt (Bua) and nephew (Bhatija), and other such relations.
History of Raksha Bandhan?
- Krishna and Draupadi- Based on an account of Mahabharat, Draupadi, wife of Pandavas tied a rakhi to Lord Krishna while Kunti tied the rakhi to grandson Abhimanyu before the epic war.
- Yama and the Yamuna- Another legend says that the death God, Yama did not visit his sister the Yamuna for a period of 12 years which ultimately became very sad. On the advice of Ganga, Yama went to meet his sister the Yamuna who has very happy and performed hospitality to her brother, Yama. This made the Yama delighted who asked the Yamuna for a gift. She expressed her desire to see her brother again and again. Hearing this, Yama made his sister, Yamuna immortal so that he could see her again and again. This mythological account forms the basis of a festival called “Bhai Dooj” which is also based on the brother-sister relationship.
Why is it Traditionally Given to a Sister as a Symbol of Love?
The tradition of presenting return gifts or treats to a sister on the eve of Raksha Bandhan is an age-old tradition. It has been passed down for ages through family traditions. The tradition of giving gifts on Rakhi has its own significance amongst brothers as well as sisters as a token of love and affection towards each other. It also helps in strengthening the bond between a brother and a sister. In addition to gifts and treats, some families also follow the tradition of distributing cash at times. Some families continue the tradition of distributing cash along with giving return gifts on Rakhi to maximize the feel of the festival.
Tips on How to Pick the Best Present for Your Sister
No one knows you quite as your sister does, and chances are, you know her just as well! You know each other’s secrets, hopes, disappointments, and dreams. And when it comes to gift-giving, you know what she likes better than anyone. When others may strike out with the wrong color, size, style, or brand, you always know just how to find the perfect gifts for your sister.
Buuutttt, just in case you need a little inspiration, we’ve put together a shopping list of our favorite gifts for sisters, with an eye toward different personalities and passions.
There are many gift sections under which we can go through, we are going to explore them according to her passion.
- Fashion: If your sister is passionate about fashion then buying modern clothes for her is the best choice, if she explorer of the world then buying fashionable bathrobes are also a good option.
- Interior Designer: Another idea can be interior designing. If she is passionate about designing a home then buying beautiful decor items such as a beautiful showpiece, scenery, bedsheets, diwan sets or other handcrafted products can also be a good option.
- Jewelry: Another idea can be a jewelry item if she is passionate about jewelry then a ring, necklace, or many jewelry items can be a good option.
- Health Conscious: If she is passionate about her health then gifting yoga mats is also a good option for your sister.